• Birth certificates

    A birth certificate is the main piece of identification that is needed for most formal agencies to complete applications and forms. Eg. Licences, Marriage certificates, 18+ cards, Centrelink etc. It is an official document which has been certified, and confirms your birth details.

    How do I get one

    • Under 16 years old.

    A parent or formal guardian can apply to Births Death & Marriages (BDM) on your behalf for your birth certificate. They will need to supply their own identification to make application to BDM in the state you were born via the links below.

    • Over 16 years.

    You can apply for a birth certificate yourself. You will need (minimum 3) documents to prove you are who you say (see categories below)

    If you were born in NSW and you are in NSW to apply for it you can take your application and identification to a post office and submit it with your fee. Printable applications are available online (see links below) Or you can go online and fill in the application form, which will give you a receipt number, you take the receipt number to the post office with your ID and fee. (This is probably the quickest way.)

    If you are applying to an interstate BDM, you must take your (minimum 3) supporting documents to a Justice of the Peace (JP) or Police station so they can view the originals then stamp and sign a photo copy.  You can then send the stamped copies to BDM in your birth state or territory, with the completed application form and fee.

    [1] Accepted forms of identification for BDM:

    Category 1 Citizenship Certificate, New Zealand Citizenship Certificate together with passport, New Zealand Birth Certificate

    Category 2 Australian Driver’s Licence, Australian Passport, Firearms Licence, Foreign Passport, Proof of Age Card

    Category 3 Medicare Card, Credit or Debit Card, Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs Card, Security Guard/Crowd Control Licence, Tertiary Education Institution ID card

    Category 4 Recent utility account in your name with your current residential address

    [1] ref: identity requirements-BDM NSW, 2014, Dept Police & Justice NSW, viewed 4/6/14,

  • Medicare cards

    If you aren’t already enrolled, you can go to a Medicare service Centre or you can download, a printable “Medicare enrolment application form” from here  then take it to your nearest Medicare service centre with your identification (Student card, bank statement, health care card, drivers licence etc)

    If you are already on your parent’s card you can choose to stay on it and have a copy of their card made to keep with you to use.

    If you would like your own card you can download a printable “Application to copy or transfer from one Medicare card to another from” here then go to your nearest Medicare Service Centre with your identification.

    The Medicare staff will process your application and then issue you with a receipt and number to use while you wait for your card to come in the mail.

    A medicare sample card

    medicare card

  • Bank debit/credit cards and statements

    Your bank credit or debit plastic cards can be used for ID as well as your bank statement, this is the record of transactions you receive from your bank either monthly or every 3 months.

    You can also access your statement on line if you’re set up for online banking. Some banks will charge a small fee to reprint your statement for you over the counter.

  • Utility accounts

    Gas, electricity, rates, water bills. A copy of any of these accounts can be used as ID, if it shows your name and current address.

  • School reports

    Most young people won’t have much in the way of ID, a school report or letter from the school stating your name and student number can be used as identification as you start to collect other forms of ID.

  • Driver's Licences

    A Learner, provisional or full licence is an excellent form of ID, as it states your age, current address and carries a photo.

  • 18+ card

    If you are over 18 and don’t have your drivers licence you can still apply for an 18+ card from the RMS.

    Having an 18+ card in your wallet is an easy way to identify yourself and prove your age as it carries similar information as a drivers licence.

  • Passports

    A Passport holds the highest value of points for identification.

    For more information about travel and passports see SkillBot – Passports

  • Proof of Aboriginality

    Getting your proof of aboriginality can be a complex and difficult task especially if you don’t live in the same area you were born and raised. Talk to your parents or kin or contact your local lands council for advice.

    See the link to facts sheet from Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders studies (AIATSIS) for more information

    or go to  page and type aboriginality in the search bar for more information.

  • What to do if your ID is lost or stolen.

    You need to act quickly if your identification and/or bankcard is lost or stolen. This can be an expensive and time consuming experience.

    It is a good idea to keep a photo copy of all your identification documents in a safe place, that way you’ll have quick access to the contact numbers to alert authorities or providers of your loss.

    You will need to phone your bank or credit union and cancel credit cards immediately while also arranging replacement new cards. These will be issued with different account numbers linked back to your account. Discuss with your bank alternative ways to access your funds while waiting for the replacement card. (See your bank statements for Lost/stolen card contact number)

    Go to, or ring the Roads & Maritime Service (RMS) to report your Licence or 18+card lost or stolen and apply for a replacement. Remember you must have your drivers licence with you when driving so don’t delay in replacing this

    Report the loss of any Store credit cards you have to the store it comes from. (See account statement for contact number)

    Reapply for a replacement Medicare card.